Setting Up a Socket Mobile Scanner
This guide provides instructions for connecting Socket Mobile Series scanners to Android devices running the Roadnet Technologies, Inc. GPS based mobile application. Omnitracs Roadnet Transportation Suite customers will use the Omnitracs MobileCast application. Omnitracs Roadnet Anywhere customers will use the Omnitracs Roadnet Mobile application. Throughout this document, the term mobile application is used to refer to either MobileCast or Roadnet Mobile, whichever application you are installing. There may be slight variations for prompts and screens across different device models.
Mobile Device Prerequisites
- The device must be powered on and the battery charged.
- The device(s) must be activated by your cellular phone company and have a valid data plan and text messaging.
- The device(s) must have the Roadnet Technologies mobile application installed and running.
- These procedures must be performed in an area with adequate coverage.
- The device must have e-mail set up. A Gmail account is required to download applications from Google Play Store.
- For questions about the device or phone activation, contact your local cellular phone representative.
- For questions about the mobile application contact Omnitracs support at 1-800-762-3638 or e-mail email@example.com.
Setting up and Connecting the Socket Mobile Series Scanner
Before setting up the scanner, the battery should be installed and fully charged.
Note: It is recommended that you charge the scanner using an AC adapter or charging cradle. Charging from a computer USB port is not reliable and not recommended.
- Step 1: Press and hold the power button on the scanner until the power light turns blue and the scanner beeps two times.
- Step 2: Perform a factory reset. This is done by pressing and holding down the trigger button and then quickly pressing the power button once. Continue to hold down the trigger button. Release the trigger button when you hear the scanner beep. The scanner beeps five times and turns off.
- Step 3: Press the power button on the scanner to turn it on.
- Step 4: From the Android mobile device, open Google Play Store.
- Step 5: Download and install the SocketScan Keyboard Wedge app.
- Step 6: Once the install is complete, open the SocketScan app. The Getting started screen displays.
- Step 7: Ensure Turn on Bluetooth is checked. This box defaults to checked if bluetooth is enabled on the mobile device.
- Step 8: Check the Turn on your scanner box. The Select a setup method screen displays.
- Step 9: On the scanner, press the scan button and scan the barcode that displays on the Select a setup method screen.
- Step 10: On the mobile device, go to Settings.
- Step 11: In the Search field, type in Bluetooth and select it from the list provided.
- Step 12: Press Search. The device searches for all possible bluetooth connections.
- Step 13: Press Socket CHS[xxxxxx] in the list of devices found. [xxxxxx] represents a number associated with the scanner you are pairing.
- Step 14: Open the SocketScan app. The Getting started screen displays.
- Step 15: Ensure that Turn on Bluetooth is checked. This box defaults to checked if bluetooth is enabled on the mobile device.
- Step 16: Check the Turn on your scanner box. The Select a setup method screen displays.
- Step 17: Press Bluetooth. A list of paired devices displays.
- Step 18: Press Socket CHS[xxxxxx] in the list of devices. [xxxxxx] represents a number associated with the scanner you are pairing. A paired completed message displays and the scanner beeps three times.
- Step 19: Exit the SocketScan app.
Scanning While in the Mobile Application
For the scanner and the mobile application to work together when scanning barcodes, the worker simply needs to turn on the scanner and the mobile device.