Setting Up An Android 7.x Mobile Device
This guide provides step-by-step instructions for configuring Android 7.x mobile devices and walks you through installing the Roadnet Technologies, Inc. GPS based mobile application. Omnitracs Roadnet Transportation Suite customers will install the Omnitracs MobileCast application. Omnitracs Roadnet Anywhere customers will install the Omnitracs Roadnet Mobile application. Throughout this document, the term mobile application is used to refer to either MobileCast or Roadnet Mobile, whichever application you are installing. There may be slight variations for prompts and screens across different device models.
Mobile Device Prerequisites
- The device must be powered on and the battery charged.
- The device(s) must be activated by your cellular phone company and have a valid data plan and text messaging.
- These procedures must be performed in an area with adequate coverage.
- The device must have e-mail set up. A Gmail account is required to download applications from Google Play Store.
- For questions about the device or phone activation, contact your local cellular phone representative.
- For questions about the mobile application contact Omnitracs support at 1-800-762-3638 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finding The Correct Setting
To find the setting you want to adjust, use the Search field on the Settings screen. Simply type in the name of the setting and select it from the list provided.
Required Device Configuration
Before you can install the mobile application on your device, you will need to make sure the items below are set as required.
Verifying the OS Version
To run the mobile application at peak performance, you should have the latest operating system version running on your mobile device.
- Step 1: Search for and select About Phone.
- Step 2: If the Android version is lower than Android 7.x, search for and select System updates.
- Step 3: Choose how you would like Android to be updated.
Verifying the GPS Satellite Setting
To receive GPS information from the mobile device, the GPS services must be turned on.
- Step 1: Search for and select Location.
- Step 2: Ensure that Location is On.
- Step 3: Search for and select Locating Method.
- Step 4: Choose from the list, the method you want to use to send GPS information. The recommended Mode is High Accuracy.
Changing the Security Setting
To install the mobile application on the device, you will need to allow unknown
sources to download to your device.
- Step 1: Search for and select Lock screen and security.
- Step 2: Turn on Unknown Sources.
Verifying Automatic Update of Date and Time
Your date and time should be set to use the date and time provided by the
- Step 1: Search for and select Date & time.
- Step 2: Ensure that Automatic date & time is On.
Installing the MobileCast® or Roadnet Mobile Application Using Android Notification
Requests for MobileCast software downloads to mobile devices are
submitted through the Roadnet Technologies MobileCast Management Center
(www.manageroadnet.com). Contact Roadnet Customer Service for assistance
accessing this site. First, log on to MobileCast Management Center. Then, select
the device and request to republish.
Requests for Roadnet Mobile software downloads to mobile devices are
submitted through Roadnet Anywhere. To start the process, right-click on the
mobile device in Roadnet Anywhere and choose Send to Mobile Device.
Note: You will receive a text message titled DO-NOT-REPLY@roadnet.com.
Once the message is received, complete the installation by following these
- Step 1: On the mobile device, open the text message.
- Step 2: Click on the link in the message.
- Step 3: Choose to open the URL. The APK file is download to the device.
- Step 4: Once the download is complete, click the APK file.
- Note: If you have not chosen a default program to use when launching
installations, you may see a list of programs that are on your device and
are able to launch the file. Choose the action that will launch the APK file
and then choose Just Once or Always.
- Step 5: Select Install to start the installation.
- Step 6: Once the application is installed, you will have the option to open the
mobile application or close the window.
Installing the MobileCast® Application Using A File Explorer App
Note: The following instructions are for MobileCast users only.
If you are unable to install MobileCast using the MobileCast Management
Center, you can manually copy the necessary files from your PC to the device
and then install it using a file explorer application.
- • The phone number should be entered into the Roadnet Technologies MobileCast Management Center (www.manageroadnet.com).
- • The MobileCastSmartPhone.APK file should be saved to your PC and you should be able to browse to and copy it.
- • A file explorer application must be installed on the mobile device. You can use the app that comes with the device or install another app from Google Play.
Follow these steps to install MobileCast.
- Step 1: Connect the mobile device to the PC. A window opens that offers
options of what action to perform.
- Step 2: Choose Open folder to view files and click OK. A window opens,
displaying the directories on the mobile device.
- Note: If the open folder option does not display, open My Computer and doubleclick
on the appropriate mobile device drive.
- Step 3: Right-click and choose New Folder from the menu. Name your folder.
- Step 4: Copy the MobileCastSmartPhone.APK file into your new folder.
- Step 5: Disconnect the mobile device from the PC.
- Step 6: On the mobile device, navigate to your new folder.
- Step 7: Click MobileCastSmartPhone.APK.
- Step 8: Select Install to start the MobileCast installation.
- Step 9: Once the application is installed, you will have the option to open MobileCast or close the window.
Recommended Phone Settings
Some settings you may want to change on your mobile device are mentioned below.
Changing the Display Timeout Setting
You can change how long the screen stays on when the device is inactive.
- Step 1: Search for and select Display.
- Step 2: Select Screen timeout.
- Step 3: Choose from the list, how long you would like the screen to remain on when not in use. The recommended time is 10 minutes.
Verifying Airplane Mode is Turned Off
This setting turns off all of the devices’s radios, preventing the ability to
transmit/receive calls and data.
- Step 1: Search for and select Airplane Mode.
- Step 2: If the Airplane Mode option is on, remove the check or toggle the option to turn it off.
Advanced Phone Procedures
Changing the Language Displayed on Your Mobile Device
You can choose to display menus and MobileCast in a different language on your mobile device.
- Step 1: Search for and select Languages and input.
- Step 2: Select Add Language.
- Step 3: From the list, select the language you want displayed on the mobile
Performing a Master Reset
You are able to reset all device-related settings to their factory defaults and reestablish the mobile device to the data network; this removes all information from the device. If necessary, back up your contacts to a storage card.
- Step 1: Search for and select Backup and reset.
- Step 2: Select Factory Data Reset.
- Step 3: Select Reset.
Un-installing the Mobile Application
The steps outlined below are for un-installing the mobile application.
- Step 1: Search for and select Apps.
- Step 2: Select App Manager.
- Step 2: Select MobileCast or Roadnet Mobile.
- Step 3: Select Uninstall.
- Step 4: Select OK to remove the mobile application from the mobile device.