Installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile
Your mobile device must be activated with your plan provider before you install Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
Initial Installation of Omnitracs XRS Mobile
Omnitracs XRS Mobile is available for Android and Windows Mobile operating systems.
See System Requirements for information regarding Omnitracs XRS Mobile requirements.
Installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile on an Android Device (5.0 or Older)
To install Omnitracs XRS Mobile on a device that uses the Android 5.0 or older operating system:
- 1. Download the updated Omnitracs XRS Mobile app from the link in the SMS message you received, or enter
http://mp.xataxrs.com/xrs.apk in your device's browser. The installation file will automatically download to your
- Note: The link is case-sensitive. If you enter the address manually, type it exactly as it is displayed above.
- 2. From your device's home screen, select Applications > Downloads. The Downloads folder opens.
- Note: The download procedure will differ somewhat depending on the device you use. Consult the instructions for your device about how to access the Downloads folder.
- 3. Select Omnitracs XRS from the Downloads folder. A pop-up window opens detailing the permissions required by Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
- Note: See Android Permissions for a complete list of permissions used by Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
- 4. Select Next to scroll through the permissions until the Install button is visible.
- 5. Select Install to install Omnitracs XRS Mobile. The installation process may continue for several minutes.
- 6. When the installation process is complete, a confirmation screen appears. You may either select Open to open Omnitracs XRS Mobile or Done to close the screen and return to your Downloads folder. If you select Open, you are able to log in to Omnitracs XRS Mobile using your Driver ID and Password.
- See First-Time Setup for more information on logging in to Omnitracs XRS Mobile for the first time.
- For more information or assistance with the installation process, refer to the Installation Guide.
Installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile on an Android 6.0 (or higher) Device
If you are installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile on a device that uses the Android 6.0 (Marshmallow or higher) operating system, you will be prompted to allow permissions after you have installed Omnitracs XRS Mobile. You must allow all permissions in order for Omnitracs XRS Mobile to operate.
Note: You will only be prompted to allow permissions if you are installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile on an Android 6 device for the first time. You will not be prompted if you are upgrading from an older to a newer version of Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
Allowing Permissions When Prompted
- 1. After you install Omnitracs XRS Mobile, you receive a series of prompts requesting you to allow the permissions that are required by Omnitracs XRS Mobile. For each prompt, select Allow.
- All permissions must be allowed in order for Omnitracs XRS Mobile to operate.
- 2. If you deny one or more permissions, the Required Permissions screen appears, listing the permissions the app still needs access to in order to function. Select OK.
- 3. Restart Omnitracs XRS Mobile. After you restart, you are prompted to allow any permissions that you previously denied
- 4. Select Allow for each required permission.
- Note: DO NOT select the "Never ask again" check box on these prompts. If you select this option and then select Deny, you will not be prompted again to allow the permissions. Instead, you will have to go into the settings for the Omnitracs XRS Mobile app and manually allow the permissions (see Manually Allowing Permissions below for instructions). You will not be able to operate Omnitracs XRS Mobile until all required permissions are allowed.
Manually Allowing Permissions
If you do deny any permissions and select the "Never ask again" check box, you will need to manually allow each denied permission in order to use Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
- 1. To manually allow permissions, select the Settings icon for your device (usually found on the home screen), then select the applications manager. The label will differ depending on the device you're using, but it's often called "Applications Manager" or simply "Apps."
- 2. Select Omnitracs XRS from the list of apps, then select Permissions.
- 3. Select the slider for each permission listed in order to allow it.
Android Permissions Required by Omnitracs XRS Mobile
The following is a list of the permissions that Omnitracs XRS Mobile requires when installed on an Android device:
- USB Storage
- Screen Lock
For more information on why these permissions are necessary, see the Android Permissions List.
Installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile on a Windows Mobile Device
Note: Users of Windows Mobile 6.1 must refer to Installing .NET 3.5 to Their Device for more information.
To install Omnitracs XRS Mobile on a Windows Mobile device:
- 1. Download the updated Omnitracs XRS Mobile app from the link in the SMS message you received, or enter http://mp.xataxrs.com/xrs.cab in your device's browser. The app will automatically download to your device.
- This link is case-sensitive. If you enter the address manually, type it in exactly as it is displayed above.
- 2. Ensure that the Open file after download check box is selected.
- 3. Select the Yes button. The app automatically downloads to your device.
- 4. If Omnitracs XRS Mobile is already installed on your mobile device, you will be asked if you want to replace it. Select Yes and wait for the installer to complete the download process. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
- 5. A window appears asking for an installation location. Select Device.
- 6. Select Install to continue installing Omnitracs XRS Mobile. The installation process may continue for several minutes.
- 7. When the installation process is complete, a confirmation screen appears. Read the message and select the OK button. You may now log in to Omnitracs XRS Mobile using your Driver ID and Password.
- See Logging In as a Primary Driver or Co-Driver for more information on logging in to Omnitracs XRS Mobile.
Installing .NET CF 3.5 on a Windows Mobile 6.1 Device
To install .NET CF 3.5 on a device running Windows Mobile version 6.1:
- 1. Using a Windows Mobile version 6.1 device, use the browser to navigate to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ download/details.aspx?id=65.
- 2. Select the Download button at the top of the page to download .NET CF 3.5.
- 3. Select Open or Run to run this program from its current location and begin the installation process.
- 4. Follow the instructions displayed by the installation process.